Here’s a solution that might help if you are having trouble connecting to wireless networks with Vista on a MacBook using Bootcamp.
MacBook owners regularly report problems with their wireless network adapter under Vista. On my 13″ black MacBook (about 2 months old), the wifi works great after a clean Vista install until I install the Apple Bootcamp 1.2 drivers and run Windows update. I’m not sure which is causing the problem but the end result is I get a new wireless network driver with which I can see wireless networks but I cannot connect.
To fix the problem:
- Uninstall the Apple Atheros drivers (there are two) from Uninstall a Program (via Control Panel). [FYI: My adapter is being report as an Atheros AR5008X]
- Go to Device Manager (click the Start marble and type ‘device man’) and expand Network Adapters.
- Right-click on the Atheros adapter and select Update Driver….
- Click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- In the Manufactuer list, select Atheros. In the Network Adapter list, select Atheros AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter. Click Next. Click Close.
Worked for me. YMMV.